Elevador de Santa Justa was inaugurated on July 10th, 1902. Its cast iron structure is enriched with filigree and was designed by the engineer Raoul Mesnier de Ponsard.
Elevador de Santa Justa, also known as Elevador do Carmo, is a public lift located in the heart of Lisbon, district of Lisbon, Portugal, and connects Rua do Ouro and Rua do Carmo to Largo do Carmo. It’s one of downtown Lisbon’s most interesting monuments. This lift is formed by a metallic tower with two booths and a crosswalk that connects the top floor to Largo do Carmo. Passengers can go up or down inside the elegant wooden booths with brass accessories.
Elevador de Santa Justa was classified as a National Monument in 2002.
R. do Ouro